When a family/child is identified and measured by a physical therapist, all application and measurement forms are sent to us at Birmingham AMBUCS. If AMBUCS has funds available, we call the national office and order a custom tryke for that child. If no funds are available at the time, we place them on the waiting list and wait until a donation comes in to start the process. Once National AMBUCS has a tryke ready, it is sent to Bayliss Machine and Welding Company, who volunteers their time to assemble the tryke. When completed, we drive to their shop and pick up the tryke. We then contact the family and therapist to schedule a time and place to meet and get tryke fitted properly. Sometimes a family will come to the office and sometimes we deliver the trykes to the therapist’s office.
Steps to Receive a Tryke
- Determine a need by working with a physical therapist
- Fill out application form (on web page) with help and guidance of physical therapist
- Have therapist measure and fill out forms concerning fitting of the Tryke
- Send application to AMBUCS with a $100 down payment check.
- AMBUCS will review and then order Tryke, if we have funds available, from national headquarters in North Carolina. If funds are not available, we will keep application on a waiting list until funds become available. We operate based on donations and fundraisers to be able to provide the Trykes.
- If a family can pay the full amount, a Tryke will be ordered as soon as application and funds are received and reviewed.
- Many families at ours and other chapters have their own fundraisers to be able to purchase the Trykes. We have heard of sporting events giving part of gate money to a specific family, Facebook donation request for your child within your friend group, neighborhood sales, etc. If you have any ideas, we would love to share them as well.
- Once Tryke is ordered, it is manufactured and then shipped to Bayliss Machine and Welding Company (one of our supporters) and assembled.
- Once Tryke is completed, we go and pick up Tryke and bring to Birmingham AMBUCS office.
- Once here, we call family and therapist and arrange how to get therapist and child together to make sure Tryke fits properly. After therapist deems that the Tryke is safe and ready, the family is given the Tryke. If family has the ability to help financially, we appreciate a donation to help fund a Tryke for another family in need. We believe in the “Pay it Forward” model.
- If after two years a child has outgrown or advanced to another level of Tryke, then they may bring back existing Tryke and order a new one, going through the same steps as above.
We are so blessed to be able to help so many children with attaining Trykes. We have seen so many examples of how these Trykes help the children with their confidence, therapy, social interaction, exercise and just the fun of riding.
Before a rider is placed on the Wish List, all required documents below must be printed, filled out and EMAILED TO US HERE.
PLEASE SEND REGULAR MAIL TO: AMBUCS 1929 Canyon Road Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
Access necessary forms below: